The North Kohala Real Estate Update for Q2 is for the majestic area located at the northern tip of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is home to the two small towns of Hawi and Kapa’au. Hawi is most famous for being the bicycle turnaround point for the annual Ironman World Championship held each October, and its charming downtown area contains many small shops and restaurants, including the famous Bamboo Restaurant. Hawi is also the 2nd office location of Hawaii Luxury Real Estate.
The other small town, Kapa’au, also contains a small downtown area with assorted shops and cafes and is home to the original King Kamehameha I Statue. A little farther south down the coast is where the gated, upscale communities of Kohala Ranch, Kohala By-the-Sea and Kohala Waterfront are located.
North Kohala contains miles of pastoral, undeveloped land, as well as a variety of beautiful homes, from small plantation homes to large estates, many with stunning ocean views. The southern end of North Kohala contains the gated communities of Kohala Ranch, containing many luxury homes with large lots, as well as many acreage lots where you can build your own Hawaiian dream home. The most alluring characteristic of the Kohala Ranch area is that virtually every home and lot features panoramic ocean views.
At the time of this writing (Aug 20th), there were 24 homes for sale in North Kohala and 9 homes in escrow. In the vacant land market, there are 56 lots for sale, with 4 lots in escrow. There are no condos located in North Kohala, so we do not keep statistics for that segment.
Of the homes for sale, the highest priced one is located at 54-2324 Kynnersley Rd in Kapa’au and is listed at $4,495,000. The highest priced vacant land for sale is listed at a cool $22,000,000 and is 427 acres at the end of Union Mill Rd in Kapa’au.
At the other end of the spectrum, the lowest priced home is located at 53-407 Halaula Malili Rd in Kapa’ua and is listed at $419,900, while the lowest priced land for sale is a 15,000 sq ft lot at 53-447 Halaula Malili Rd in Kapa’au, currently listed at $290,000.
Sales have slowed significantly in North Kohala during Q2, and in this time frame of April through June 2023, there were just 7 homes and 9 land lots sold. The highest priced of the homes sold is located at 59-468 Pili Pl in Kohala Ranch. It was listed at $3,790,000 and sold for $3,800,000. The highest priced vacant land to sell went for $2,500,000 from a list price of $3,295,000. It is 35.34 acres in the Paao-Puukole subdivision of Hawi.
The lowest priced home to sell in North Kohala was listed at $589,000 and sold for $585,00. It is located at 53-4123 Kolonahe St in Kapa’au, while the lowest priced lot to sell went for $247,000 from a list price the same amount. It is a 4.57-acre parcel at 59-129 Kipa Mai Way in Kohala Ranch.
Analysis: The North Kohala Real Estate Update for Q2 shows us that sales of both single-family homes and vacant land in North Kohala have slowed significantly since Q1. The slow sales have allowed inventory levels to rise slightly over the last quarter.
If you are looking to buy or sell a home in the North Kohala area, or anywhere on the Kohala Coast, contact me today. I will help make your Hawaiian Real Estate dreams a reality.
North Kohala Real Estate Update Q2 2023 Highlights
- Number of homes currently for sale – 24
- Number of homes currently in escrow – 9
- Number of land lots currently for sale – 56
- Number of land lots currently in escrow – 4
- Highest priced home currently for sale – $4,495,000 – 54-2324 Kynnersley Rd, Kapa’au
- Highest priced land lot currently for sale – $22,000,000 – 437 Acres, Union Mill Rd, Hawi
- Lowest priced home currently for sale – $419,000 – 53-407 Halaula Malili Rd, Kapa’au
- Lowest priced land lot currently for sale – $290,000 – 15,000 sq ft, 53-447 Halaula Malili Rd, Kapa’au
- Number of homes sold in Q2 (Apr – Jun) – 7
- Number of vacant land lots sold in Q2 (Apr – Jun) – 9
- Highest priced home sold in Q2 – $3,800,000 59-468 Pili Pl, Kohala Ranch
- Highest priced land lot sold in Q2 – $2,500,000 – 35.37 acres, Paao-Puukole, Hawi
- Lowest priced home sold in Q2 – $585,000 – 53-3124 Kolonahe St, Kapa’au
- Lowest priced land lot sold in Q2 – $247,000 – 4.57 acres, 59-129 Kipa Mai Way, Kohala Ranch
If you enjoyed this update, you may like Kohala Real Estate Update for July 2023.