The North Kohala Real Estate Update for Q2 is for the majestic area located at the northern tip of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is home to the two small towns of Hawi and Kapa’au. Hawi is most famous for being the bicycle turnaround point for the annual Ironman World Championship held each October (postponed until February this year), and its charming downtown area contains many small shops and restaurants, including the famous Bamboo Restaurant. Hawi is also the 2nd office location of Hawaii Luxury Real Estate.
The other small town, Kapa’au, also contains a small downtown area with assorted shops and cafes and is home to the original King Kamehameha I Statue. A little farther south down the coast is where the gated, upscale communities of Kohala Ranch, Kohala By-the-Sea and Kohala Waterfront are located.
North Kohala contains miles of pastoral, undeveloped land, as well as a variety of beautiful homes, from small plantation homes to large estates, many with stunning ocean views. The southern end of North Kohala contains the gated communities of Kohala Ranch, containing many luxury homes with large lots, as well as many acreage lots where you can build your own Hawaiian dream home. The most alluring character of the Kohala Ranch area is that virtually every home and lot features panoramic ocean views.
At the time of this writing (Aug 20th), there were 24 homes for sale in the North Kohala area and 5 homes in escrow. In the vacant land market, there are 42 lots for sale, with 8 lots in escrow. There are no condos located in North Kohala, so we do not keep statistics for that segment. Of the homes for sale, the highest priced one is located at 59-110 Kihi Kihi Pl in Kohala Waterfront and is listed at $6,250,000.
The highest priced vacant land for sale is listed at a cool $25,000,000 and is 63 acres at 59-3010 Kailani Pl in Kohala Kai. At the other end of the spectrum, the lowest priced home on the market is located at 55-545 Hawi Rd in Hawi, and is listed at $645,500, while the lowest priced lot for sale is a 3.07-acre lot on Kanaloa Dr in Kohala Ranch, currently listed at $349,000.
Sales continue to be strong in North Kohala, with the Q2 time frame of April through June 2022 seeing 24 homes and 24 land lots sold. The highest priced of these homes is located at 59-1177 Kamakani Pl in Kohala Ranch. It was listed at $4,600,000 and sold for $4,000,000. The highest priced vacant land to sell went for $1,500,000 from a list price of $1,650,000. It is 17 acres located in Lipoa Gulch in Hawi.
The lowest priced home to sell in North Kohala was listed at $399,000 and sold for $450,00. It is located at 54-3717 Akoni Pule Hwy in Kapa’au, while the lowest priced lot to sell went for $150,000 from a list price the same amount. It is a 27,835 sq ft lot in Nuilii Village in Kapa’au.
Analysis: The North Kohala Real Estate Update for Q2 shows us that sales of both single-family homes and vacant land in North Kohala have continued to be strong. Even with these strong sales, inventory levels have still managed to rise a little over last quarter. The drop in the number of homes in escrow could be a leading indicator of a slowdown in sales.
If you are looking to buy or sell a home in the North Kohala area, or anywhere on the Kohala Coast, contact me today. I will help make your Hawaiian Real Estate dreams a reality. You can read real estate market updates of other areas on the Kohala Coast on the Market Update Page of my website.
North Kohala Real Estate Update Q2 2022 Highlights
- Number of homes currently for sale – 24
- Number of homes currently in escrow – 5
- Number of land lots currently for sale – 42
- Number of land lots currently in escrow – 8
- Highest priced home currently for sale – $6,250,000 – 59-110 Kihi Kihi Pl, Kohala Waterfront
- Highest priced land lot currently for sale – $25,000,000 – 63 Acres, Kailani Pl, Kohala Kai
- Lowest priced home currently for sale – $645,000 – 55-545 Hawi Rd, Hawi
- Lowest priced land lot currently for sale – $349,000 – 3.07 acres, Kanaloa Dr, Kohala Ranch
- Number of homes sold in Q2 (Apr – Jun) – 24
- Number of vacant land lots sold in Q2 (Apr – Jun) – 24
- Highest priced home sold in Q2 – $4,400,000 59-1177 Kamakani Lp, Kohala Ranch
- Highest priced land lot sold in Q2 – $1,500,000 – 617 Acres, Lipoa Gulch, Hawi
- Lowest priced home sold in Q2 – $450,000 – 54-3717 Akoni Pule Hwy, Kapa’au
- Lowest priced land lot sold in Q2 – $150,000 – 27,835 sq ft, Nuilii Village, Kapa’au
If you enjoyed this update, you may like Kohala Real Estate Update for July 2022.